Fwd: Recent Experience with people misrepresenting themselves asofficial Thunderbird

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:34:05 UTC 2015

> I imagine it would need hundreds/thousand of people (going by the number of users) and not just volunteers

I think it would be difficult to get off the ground, and obviously it would have to be
"paid support". The problem is there are no initial funds to:

1) do market research whether it would be feasible - [how many users would commit to
pay how much for a maintenance contract]
2) invest in a paid startup team to grow a support base. You would have to start with
a small number of users as a "Pilot scheme" in order to make it feasible. You would
also need some legal provisions to indemnify against effects of possible data loss
like in the example. not easy.

You would need a paid subscription model that could be tied to a Thunderbird
"premium"or "business" license, and the prices of that could would probably be
initially high and could drop given large scale adoption. One thing the mentioned
"support" company obviously forgot was to locally back up the user's email before
doing any modifications.

Axel

Software Developer
Keys, SmartTemplate4)