Fwd: Recent Experience with people misrepresenting themselves as official Thunderbird

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 05:46:10 UTC 2015

I don't think legal will do anything I just looked at tech help experts
website they don't make any obvious representation as being affiliated with
Mozilla.

That said Mozilla historically has been very permissive with allowing third
parties to support individuals and companies. Even for Firefox there is a
long time contributor who makes a living sitting on mailing lists and
gathering leads to offer paid consulting to. (Staff actually send people to
him)

This appears more than anything to be a novice user who is connecting dots
that are not there. A quick Google search will find plenty of companies
that offer support for Mozilla products and there is nothing illegal in
doing so even.

I would not invest time in this or bother the very busy legal team over
something like this.

On Jun 16, 2015 9:28 PM, "Roland MoCoGmail Tanglao" <rtanglao at mozilla.com>
wrote:

> yes please gregg, please forward to mozilla legal
> i have also added tb-planning where the thunderbird council hangs out!
> cheers!
> ...Roland
>

> On 2015-06-16 7:58 PM, Gregg Lind wrote:
>>
>> I am actually a little tempted to forward this particular on onto
Legal.  Thoughts?

>> GL
>>
>> On 6/16/15 8:04 PM, Karen Esterly wrote:

tech support.  On May 12, 2015,  I was having a problem with not being able
to send an email.  I have a Cox email address, but it is setup thru Mozilla
Thunderbird.  I first contacted Cox Communications.  They checked out my
account and found everything to working properly and recommended I contact
Mozilla, which I then did.
>>> After explaining the problems I was having, I was transferred to your
tech person, Menish  (  with Tech Help Experts ) he asked if he could go
into my computer remotely.  I agreed.  Three hours later, and no closer to
a solution,  I was told they would have to continue diagnostics the
following day.  I called them when I got home from work and once again,
Menish worked remotely thru my computer for another three hours.  He told
me there was a serious security breach in my email account.
>>> He said there was evidence of someone looking into my email over 1500
times.  I said that was the number of emails I currently had on the
account.  He said every time I went into my email, I was in danger of all
of my personal information being open to theft.  But, I was not to worry
because he recommended I purchase their two year software protection plan
and one year of tech support in the amount of $449.99.  So I did.
>>>  He continued to work on my system and called me later and asked for me
to try to send an email to see if the problem was resolved.  I was able to
send it and the problem seemed to be fixed.

>>>   Several days later,  I was having the very same problem, of not being
able to send an email.  I called Tech Help Experts again. They once again,
went into my computer remotely,  for another 2.5 hours.  During this
session, I realized that all but 102 of emails were missing.  I went from
1563 emails, to 102.  I called Tech Help Experts again and spoke with Floor
Supervisor Ankit.  He said they did not delete any of  my emails and there
are 102 emails on the account.  I have had this email account for many
years and everything older than April 29th, 2015 was gone.  My address book
contacts as well as my emails were missing.  He asked to go into my
computer to investigate.  At 7pm that evening, Menish said he had contacted
Cox Communications, and that they were having a security issue and to give
them 24 hours to rectify the problem.  That was on May 19th.
>>>  On May 20th,  the next day, I still did not have my emails and
contacts replaced, and I was told by Tech Help Experts, there was nothing
they could do and that I should call Cox to try to retrieve the emails from
their archives.
>>> I immediately contacted Cox Communications and explained what had
happened.  They told me they had no record of any such security issues, and
that they had no record of being contacted by Tech Help Experts.
>>> And unfortunately, they do not keep emails in an archive.
>>>
>>>  Furious, I called Tech Help Experts and demanded answers as well as a
refund. And after much debate, they agreed to a refund and I have received
it.  They were seemingly unconcerned and gave an insincere apology. But
more importantly, I am concerned about my missing information.

>>>  This company, Tech Help Experts, represents Mozilla Thunderbird. This
is the most unprofessional and misleading company I have ever dealt with.
And now, I have the added threat and fear of all of my personal information
being compromised because they now have my passwords.  I have found out
since, that any reputable company will not ask you for this information.
But I believed I was working with Mozilla, which seems to be reliable in
the industry.
>>>  I am a business owner myself,. And I'm sure we would both agree that
we are only as good as the people we have working for us.  My experience
with Tech Help Experts warrants an investigation on your end.  Especially
because they asked us for our passwords.   I do not expect things to be
resolved on my email account, but I would like to receive a response.  I
would like to know that my letter was at least read.

>>>   I just went online to get your email address to send this letter to,
and was shocked to find your Mozilla Support website has a section asking
for people to volunteer to be support techs!  Aren't any of your employees
vetted?!    This is unbelievable.

https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.com/d/msgid/wpr/5580C70F.8050509%40cox.net
.