Thunderbird Discussions with Mozilla (was Marketing Module)

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Jan 9 20:30:43 UTC 2015

On 1/8/2015 7:01 PM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> It seems like
> Thunderbird could just use specific revisions of mozilla-central that
> get bumped periodically; much like a vendor branch.  I think this has
> been previously proposed?
I tried to push this concept at the Thunderbird Summit, but the vast
majority were against it. The big issue is, who does the fixes to ensure
that we can regularly merge mozilla-central into our comm-central
branch? The current solution is, we all are constantly broken by m-c,
and that motivates hopefully someone to fix it. Without that shared
pain, the fear is that it would never get fixed. That, plus the extra
hastle of a merge branch, doomed the proposal. I can't really argue
effectively against the majority here. This is no way to run
development, but without someone dedicated to maintaining the m-c -> c-c
bumps it is hard to argue for it.

:rkent