Thunderbird Discussions with Mozilla (was Marketing Module)

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 Pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 00:28:20 UTC 2015

On 1/8/2015 4:57 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> One of the reasons I encourage asking for funding is because at the
> very least Mozilla through Mitchell did make the suggestion that
> Mozilla would continue to provide a team of staff to support
> Thunderbird but those staff were also on other teams so did not really
> have the time to put into the product that was really promised.

The sense I have gotten is that Mozilla, at present, is not interested
in supporting paid stuff for Thunderbird, whatever their messages of 2
years ago.
> Joshua as far as the things you ask it would be good to have answers
> to the questions to and probably sooner than later but I also want to
> point out some of those things are courtesies and were never suggested
> that they would be offered or done so some of them we may need to just
> deal with which would be unfortunate.

I mentioned that I was sad that some of these things needed to be
explicit, and one of the main reasons is that you would think that
common courtesy would suggest that they should be done. I have gotten
the sense that, over the past few years, the Mozilla community has
become more hostile and discourteous. Concretely, I now actively avoid
trying to mention that my use cases are in comm-central because I've
seen too often that mentioning comm-central causes other developers to
promptly ignore everything I say or ask. I was actually considering
bringing this to the attention of people who might be able to do
something about it, but I don't know who that may be (contributor
engagement? except there I really fear that comm-central = go away).

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer