Thunderbird Discussions with Mozilla (was Marketing Module)

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:57:10 UTC 2015

One of the reasons I encourage asking for funding is because at the very
least Mozilla through Mitchell did make the suggestion that Mozilla would
continue to provide a team of staff to support Thunderbird but those staff
were also on other teams so did not really have the time to put into the
product that was really promised.

https://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/07/06/thunderbird-stability-and-community-innovation/

"Mozilla will provide to following resources for Thunderbird:

The Thunderbird release driver team will be composed of the following
paid-staff:

   - Lead Engineer & Release Driver: Mark Banner
   - Back End Integration Engineer: Irving Reid
   - Quality Assurance: Ludovic Hirlimann
   - Web Development: Andrei 'Sancus' Hajdukewycz
   - Support: Roland Tanglao
   - Release Engineering: John Hopkins
   - Business Development & Legal: Jean-Baptiste Piacentino

Infrastructure to build and support Thunderbird will remain untouched
(Release Engineering, Web Services and Support services)."  - On this last
sentence I would like to know how long we can expect them to remain
untouched considering the portion about staff above never really happened
as we expected?

I do not think Mozilla provided the above after that announcement so much
as this individual staff volunteered to do this work. I think asking
Mozilla to fund some of these roles and keep its commitment to provide the
resources it said would should not be out of the question.

Joshua as far as the things you ask it would be good to have answers to the
questions to and probably sooner than later but I also want to point out
some of those things are courtesies and were never suggested that they
would be offered or done so some of them we may need to just deal with
which would be unfortunate.

In talking with Mozilla (Mitchell et. al) I would encourage Kent to aim
high in the asks and hope for the best.

Benjamin Kerensa
http://benjaminkerensa.com