Marketing Module

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Jan 8 16:06:31 UTC 2015

On 1/8/2015 1:36 AM, Axel Grude wrote:
>> Was speaking to rkent today and he thought a Marketing Module might be a
>> good idea and I agree this would be a good way to better organize
>> our marketing efforts and processes going forward.
>
> Benjamin, could you elaborate what you mean by "marketing module"? Is
> this a technical term for something integrated within Tb or simply a
> group of people working on marketing for Tb?
The issue came up specifically because Benjamin had access to certain
credentials affecting Thunderbird marketing, and needed to know whether
he had formal permission to share those credentials. Previously, all
such issues went through Thunderbird staff (and most recently Mark
Banner). In a volunteer-led world, who can say that it is OK to share
such-and-such credentials with so-and-so?

The alternative to a formal module definition is to use what I used to
call, in my former ISO9001-infused career in manufacturing, the system
of "rumor and tradition". In this case, that would be that "everyone
knows" that Wayne is an active trustworthy person, so that if he says do
it, then you do it. All that a "Thunderbird Marketing Module" means is
that there be a small list of people with authority over Thunderbird
marketing, including one person who is the owner, announced on
m.governance and listed formally in the Thunderbird module page at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird.

Then future Benjamins that had access to something that Thunderbird
Marketing needed (and perhaps with less knowledge than Benjamin has of
the rumor and tradition currently driving Thunderbird leadership) would
know who to contact to decide if it is indeed OK to do such-and-such for
so-and-so.

:rkent