Thunderbird Discussions with Mozilla (was Marketing Module)

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Jan 8 05:36:40 UTC 2015

On 1/7/2015 7:39 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> I do not think they are going to just relinquish ownership to
> community I think when Mitchell announced the transition the idea was
> for development and project governance but not ownership.
"Ownership" can mean many things. Legally the thing that Mozilla really
owns is the Thunderbird trademark. Nobody is arguing that Mozilla should
give that up to a third party. "Thunderbird Community" here simply means
the team of active volunteers who are currently taking responsibility
for Thunderbird under the Mozilla umbrella. Their role should be no more
nor less than, say the "Firefox Desktop Team." Nobody feels threatened
by the Firefox Desktop team taking "ownership" of Firefox, nor should
their be any concern when the Thunderbird Community takes ownership of
Thunderbird.

Yes there are practical issues of the role of volunteers within Mozilla,
where there may not exist current administrative structures within
Mozilla for Thunderbird volunteers to take charge of areas that were
traditionally held by staff only. But these are practical issues, I
don't think there is any fundamental disagreement on who should be doing
what here.

:rkent