Thunderbird Discussions with Mozilla (was Marketing Module)

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Jan 7 22:18:17 UTC 2015

I've considered the issue of starting discussions with Mozilla
management to be my responsibility, and I was waiting until January to
do it (after management got past the Yahoo search issues and Mozlandia).
But now is the time (if I can just quit working on maildir a little).

So the next step is to prepare a letter to key Mozilla managers saying
what Thunderbird needs from Mozilla. I have not thought a great deal
about it yet, but briefly issues that we have discussed include:

1) A financial home within Mozilla, from which we could collect and
disburse funds (for example for the conference the bkerensa is suggesting).
2) Permission to use an in-product donation campaign, similar to what
Firefox just did, to raise money specifically for the Thunderbird
project. Ideally we could use the same staff who just did the Firefox
campaign.
3) Designated Mozilla staff person who would be available to disburse
any needed permissions that the Thunderbird volunteers need to run the
project. This would include the right to authorize expenditures from our
account, access to Thunderbird usage data and metrics, and access to
legal and business documentation associated with Thunderbird partner
organizations.
4) Some sort of official statement from Mozilla about Thunderbird's
status within the organization. I'm not exactly sure what I am looking
for here, but I have a sense that Mozilla staff don't really know how
they should react to Thunderbird anymore. We are not looking for Mozilla
to fund our activities, but we do need some recognition from Mozilla
that Thunderbird is an ongoing, important project that needs occasional
interaction with different parts of Mozilla.
5) Recognition that the formal leadership of Thunderbird now resides
with the Thunderbird Council, and they can make most decisions
concerning the project. Mozilla needs to specify the limits of that
authority.

Thoughts?

:rkent