Encouraging mention on the French community pages / French mozillaZine

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at lehigh.edu
Tue Feb 24 15:36:39 UTC 2015

On 2/24/2015 9:46 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2/23/2015 11:46 AM, R Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
>> As for "with respect to funding and staffing," my experience in talking
>> to middle management at Mozilla is that if you even hint at that issue,
>> you immediately get a strong statement to the effect "there is no way
>> that Mozilla is going to return to funding and fully supporting
>> Thunderbird." I don't know where this comes from, I can only guess it is
>> due to financial stress within their top-priority product lines, but it
>> is real and surfaces repeatedly from a variety of sources.
>
> The only thing I can say to this (other than 'well, that sucks that they
> won't even consider honoring a previous pledge'), is...

Mozilla's "restructuring Thunderbird" in 2012 was unveiled at a meeting in Warsaw. I don't know any attendees who interpreted those plans and resource assignments as being "in perpetuity" - although of course we hoped it would be otherwise.  In fact, I think it was explicitly stated that the plans would at some point be reevaluated.

So I suggest any Mozilla, press or other written statements, both before or after that meeting, being interpreted as a "forever pledge" are wishful thinking, or based on poorly or incorrectly worded information.

> If they *won't* honor their original pledge, then they should at least
> be willing, and even happy, to provide a minimal infrastructure for 'us'
> to break out on our own.

We (you) do have a very *significant* infrastructure being provided by Mozilla: distribution of addons and releases, build and test machines, support website, forum and newsgroups, mailing lists, etc. In fact we wouldn't be talking today if we didn't have Mozilla providing them :)

What we lack, primarily, is a funding stream (which may or may not provide staff). This is what Kent and others will be working on. This, and other issues will be pursued in a thoughtful manner by the Thunderbird Council.