Encouraging mention on the French community pages / French mozillaZine

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Feb 23 16:46:00 UTC 2015

This ("about time to redefine the place of Thunderbird within Mozilla")
is going to be my major project for the next few weeks. I've been
focused more on code the last few months, but the time is now ripe to
start writing. We've landed a lot of stuff that is going to hit
Thunderbird 38, it's going to be an exciting release, and it is time to
make noise about it both within Mozilla as well as publicly.

As I've thought about discussions with Mozilla, I think that right now
we need to focus narrowly on the issue of having a financial home within
Mozilla. That means a place where we can collect funds, spend them, tax
them, account for them, and access and negotiate business arrangements.
We may find ourself pushed toward IndieGoGo or using an external
open-source admin provider, but I don't think those are the best answer.

As for "with respect to funding and staffing," my experience in talking
to middle management at Mozilla is that if you even hint at that issue,
you immediately get a strong statement to the effect "there is no way
that Mozilla is going to return to funding and fully supporting
Thunderbird." I don't know where this comes from, I can only guess it is
due to financial stress within their top-priority product lines, but it
is real and surfaces repeatedly from a variety of sources.

So our future lies in gaining control of our own destiny, running a
large, exciting open-source product under the Mozilla umbrella. We are
not looking for additional funding or staffing from Mozilla, only
additional freedom and access to privileges so that we can accomplish
our mission.

R Kent James