IDN and EAI Support in Thunderbird

Jothan Frakes jothan at jothan.com
Fri Feb 20 16:49:14 UTC 2015

Thanks Joshua...

I agree, GSoC sounded ambitious due to deadline and possibly larger than
scope and time available in GSoC.  At least for this year.

I think your list was helpful, and i authentically suspect that within that
list there are a few what I call "Russian Doll" (open, new doll inside.
Open, discover new doll inside that one, repeat.) issues, dependencies,
etc. that will likely need attention.

As far as abstracts that help describe the topic... I have some URLs that
describe the IDN & EAI a bit better that are written up by John Levine.

http://jl.ly/Email/i18n.html
http://jl.ly/Email/i18n2.html
http://jl.ly/Email/i18n3.html

http://jl.ly/Email/i18neai.html
http://jl.ly/Email/i18neai2.html
http://jl.ly/Email/i18neai3.html

With respect to growing my understanding to where I could have
conversations with potential patrons about supporting the effort to bring
Thunderbird these functions, I would need to find out timing, costs, and
scope.

Also, I am not clear on how such "sponsors" could lend their support to TB
for this (ie Would they have to hire some of the volunteers on contract to
donate to them directly, fund through Mozilla, etc.)

We have an opportunity to potentially have the effort get a patron or two -
but the conversation to have with folks who are outside the "Mozillasphere"
and are commercial players will require real pragmatic project details (how
much, what does it get, how long before it starts, how long will it take
them, etc).

 I need to understand these things, and/or if this is too ambitious or
can't be reasonably accomplished.

-jothan

--

Jothan Frakes