TB 38 code freezes

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Feb 18 17:36:11 UTC 2015

comm-central moves to comm-aurora this weekend, and with it there is an
expectation of a string freeze so that translators can begin their work.
As I understand it we will be landing several important patches in the
next few days with strings, but in some cases these are string-only
patches to meet the deadline. Yes this is less than ideal.

There is also an implicit freeze of interfaces. This primarily affects
binary addons, but also has an effect on regular addons in some cases.
(As far as I know I am the main person affected by the binary addon
issue. If there is anyone else who cares it would be good to make
yourself known).

Because many of the bug fixes that we still hope to do to stabilize
Thunderbird 38 may involve interface changes, I would like to propose
that we explicitly relax the interface freeze, and set a new deadline of
Monday, March 16 as the interface freeze date. That will allow us to
concentrate in the next few days on string-related issues, and still
give us the freedom to land patches that we need to stabilize features
that might require interface changes. At the same time, we should try
not to land patches that would affect normal addons in this time period.

Comments?

R Kent James