the answer to "What can be done to get some attention on this?"

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Wed Dec 23 02:05:34 UTC 2015

On 22/12/15 15:59, R Kent James wrote:

> Really everyone needs to have some path where they can advocate for a
> particular bug to be fixed, using a path that ultimately leads to
> someone who is a paid developer. Here are the paths to that:
<snip>

I don't disagree with any of these paths, and they look sound & fair to
me. As long as the source code remains open and (preferably) binary
installers remain available, I don't have any problem with this (and I
don't think it has anything to do with you "not grokking open source",
unless you're conflating the popular perception of the benefit of open
source beginning and ending at "free stuff", instead of the more
meaningful aspects (including standards adherence and source code
availability). I absolutely think selling support to enterprises should
be one avenue to focus on.

Cheers,
Dave

--