the answer to "What can be done to get some attention on this?"

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Dec 22 18:35:54 UTC 2015

On 12/22/2015 9:29 AM, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> So, this is my own spin on: "What can be done to get some attention on
> this for that bug and many others?" I wrote this as a long email in
> Thunderbird, but as people often complain about long emails, I put the
> rest on my website at the end of the "ThunderbirdS Are Grow!" manifesto.
> http://pdfernhout.net/thunderbirds-are-grow-manifesto.html

I copied your entire post into a word processing program to scale it -
53 pages long! Don't expect many people to wade through all of that.

If I might summarize your business plan, quoting from your paper,
"Ideally some foundation would pour millions (or even billions) of US
dollars into a new Thunderbird just because it is the right thing to
do." Obviously this is a gross simplification of 53 pages.

While I admire your passion, there are many serious problems in the
world, and nobody at a large, wealthy foundation with billions of
dollars to spend is going to think that maintaining Thunderbird is one
of them. If the Gates Foundation were to ask me where they should spend
their money, Thunderbird would not be on my list. Continuing to hold out
the hope that some Foundation (including Mozilla) is going to decide
that Thunderbird is a Worthy Cause that should have lots of money is
just a distraction from us getting down to the hard business of
operating a viable, realistic organization. If our stakeholders will not
support us, we have no right to exist. Let's see if they will, but we
need to understand what that means. Donations from users to support a
few paid developers is only one way of turning to our stakeholders.

:rkent