the answer to "What can be done to get some attention on this?"

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Tue Dec 22 17:29:18 UTC 2015

Still not ready to send stuff from Twirlip / Thunderbird server (still
working on that), but as I wrote most of this already, I put together an
alternative direction (or parallel direction) to what Kent wrote.
Rambly, sorry, but all I have time for right now.

In general, it agrees with the key points Kent makes (volunteers are not
enough in the current situation). It talks about four types of
transactions (subsistence, gift, exchange, and planned) and the uses
those to consider other alternative funding approaches  (essentially,
government and foundations), and provides specific people and groups who
could be contacted in those regards (essentially, Thunderbird users at
national laboratories and foundations, and also Richard Stallman of the
FSF and Michel Bauwens of the P2P foundation). I suggest Mitchell Baker
and Mark Surman (or others) could approach the top 35 funding
foundations looking for (literally) a billion dollars to be put into
peer-to-peer software, including maintaining Thunderbird and also
developing migration paths to new systems. Part of the approach could be
about dealing with "data smog" as well as ensuring privacy, FOSS, local
data, and support for small groups of activists.

In general, the issue is that the current situation of Thunderbird
support has not really grown organically over the last fifteen years or
so, given the Mozilla background. Things changed a lot with the spinout,
and this is all consequences of it. I had not really been paying
attention myself much to it until Mitchell Baker's recent message.
Thunderbird has just always worked well, although with a few bugs and
awkwardnesses here and there I've managed to live with. But that message
has brought what is essentially an ongoing (if slow moving) crisis into
people's attention. Still, a crisis can be both a danger and and
opportunity.

So, this is my own spin on: "What can be done to get some attention on
this for that bug and many others?" I wrote this as a long email in
Thunderbird, but as people often complain about long emails, I put the
rest on my website at the end of the "ThunderbirdS Are Grow!" manifesto.
http://pdfernhout.net/thunderbirds-are-grow-manifesto.html

I can post it directly to the tb-plannning list if people wanted.

Back to coding... :-)

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
====
The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies
of abundance in the hands of those still thinking in terms of scarcity.