Council election

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Dec 18 17:42:08 UTC 2015

On 12/18/2015 12:27 PM, Jörg Knobloch <jorgk at jorgk.com> wrote:
> I agree with Kent's proposal. The Council currently consists of seven
> members, which can be found here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird#Thunderbird_Council
>
> Or if you want to save the click:
> Kent James, Wayne Mery, Philipp Kewisch, Magnus Melin, Joshua Cranmer,
> Mike Conley, Florian Quèze.
>
> Council members are/were active contributors who make the bird fly. If I
> understand Kent's idea correctly, he wants to replace the not-so-active
> members with some more active ones.
>
> Personally I don't see the need for nominations: The Council already
> knows the people who are suitable new candidates. A public vote is a
> nice idea, but also unnecessary, since there are no competing parties.
> Contributing to discussions on tb-planning is nice, but so far I haven't
> seen anyone step forward to actively and consistently share the
> *responsibility* for Thunderbird.
>
> One Tuesday during the bi-weekly meeting Berna from the pEp foundation
> said the following (quote):
> "Those who do the work should also have the lead, ..." - I fully agree.

I agree completely. The last thing I personally  would want is to
complicate things with lots of votes from blowhards and know-it-alls
like myself who know how to make noise and complain, but don't
contribute anything of substance (well, I try to help a little on the
support lists).

Kent has been doing a great job, and at this point in time, we need an
active leadership who are passionate enough to get us where we need to be.

There will always be time to regroup and complicate things dramatically
later once we actually have a home and all of the amenities that go
along with it.

Note: I have no problem with the fact that the time for another vote has
come and gone. It was a nice idea, but I think maybe Kent and others
thought, or hoped, we'd be much further along the road to a home than we
are.