Thunderbird: Paths Forward

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 22:56:00 UTC 2015

I personally dislike Kent's proposal on governance because the current TB
council was elected by a exclusive minority of the active TB council. It
would not promote participation or inclusion for another small group of
people to select our new governance for this community especially in a time
of transition and deciding the future of Thunderbird.

Instead I would offer the proposal that:

- Public Call For Nominations

- Gerv or other neutral person collects nominations

- CIVS poll is setup with each nominee (http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/)

- Public vote open to vouched Mozillians who identify as members of TB
Community

I believe this counter proposal does not create any more administrative
burden but instead promotes transparency, fairness and inclusion to any
governance process.

We have an opportunity to get elections right this time and I think
considering the current discussions and potential influence a new council
might have on transition discussions, it would behoove Mozilla to ensure
that the next TB council is vetted by any TB community member who would
like to cast a vote or make a nomination.

Benjamin Kerensa