A merged comm-/mozilla-central repository is now available

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:47:05 UTC 2015

On 12/17/2015 1:00 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Patrick Cloke wrote on 17.12.2015 17:53:
>> This is much more complicated for people who are not experts in version
>> control.
>
> That would be done by a script. You currently use "client.py
> checkout". Nothing changes for you.

One of the goals of the merger is to improve new contributor's lives by
making it easier to get and build Thunderbird. The client.py script is
itself a major impediment to that (and also a major headache for build
automation).

>>> I would be concerned about that, due to repository size. m-c is 20
>>> times larger than c-c.
>> Why is this a concern? Instead of pulling c-c, then m-c, you pull just
>> c-c which includes m-c.
>
> Right. But m-c is 20 times the size of c-c, so c-c is then 20 times
> larger. The repo is the crown perls of the project.
>
> I don't care much about the download size (that's the same either
> way), I care about the repo size, because it's the repo that you need
> to work with when you diff, backup etc.pp..

You do realize that, no matter what, you have to have m-c on-disk
anyways if you care about building? It may have been thought in 2007 and
2008 that it could not be the case one day, but it's been clear since
2011 that it is very much the case that c-c needs m-c to build and that
is to remain the situation for quite some time.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer