Thunderbird as a Web App revisited

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Mon Dec 14 17:17:44 UTC 2015

I hear what you and Andrew are saying about ease of use and installation
related to user expectations as a desktop app. But if a Thunderbird
webapp/server written entirely in JavaScript/HTML/CSS was wrapped for
easy deployment in some future Firefox-based equivalent of
Electron/Chromium (similar to WordPress/Calypso for the desktop), how
would people even know how it was implemented? Assuming performance was
still good (which is admittedly a reasonably concern)?

Meanwhile, such a web technology stack could also support mobile phones
and tablets browsing to the webapp on the local network if you allow
that as an option and have your desktop running to serve such requests
(or even browsing from outside your network depending on how you
configure your firewall). That feature also might make up for any
performance issues relating to the alternative web stack architecture,
if any. Since people do use webmail a lot, I have to expect a webapp
could be made to perform acceptably on a desktop somehow.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
====
The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies
of abundance in the hands of those still thinking in terms of scarcity.