Why we need Gecko updates

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 03:16:27 UTC 2015

On 12/11/2015 1:36 PM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2015, at 01:16 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
>> Would it be possible to draft you or someone else on the Gaia email team
>> for structuring JS library imports into comm-central? As we look into
>> moving stuff into JS, it would be great to share the protocol
>> implementations more widely, and that really means that we need to make
>> it easier to port between smaller package repositories (like JSMime) and
>> comm-central.
> Can you clarify...  Do you mean making sure protocol libraries are
> available as npm-packaged modules?  Making comm-central be able to use
> npm-packaged modules?  Other?

I'm imagining that we want each protocol to be available as a separate
npm package, and my thought is that they would leave in separate
repositories that are kept more-or-less in-sync with comm-central. How I
packaged JSMime was intended to follow that model, but since it's built
into a single file for comm-central, it makes moving changes between the
two versions painful. It's possible that my thought is a distinctly
worse development proposal, though.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer