Why we need Gecko updates

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at lehigh.edu
Fri Dec 11 19:20:21 UTC 2015

On 12/10/2015 12:20 PM, R Kent James wrote:
> Although "demand" can have have the meaning in English of "an insistent
> and peremptory request, made as if by right" it can also mean "to call
> for or require as just, proper, or necessary"  I don't think that
> Mitchell intended to say that Thunderbird has been unreasonably
> insistent in their interactions with Mozilla.
>
> Specifically in response to "Is there code in m-c that they want to
> remove but can't because of TB? " one good example is the cache
> directory, which has been superseded by cache2 in FF but is kept for
> Thunderbird.

Indeed. I seem to recall talking to someone who said cache2 should not
be difficult to implement.

I should think that Seamonkey would also want this.

 > Another is the "deprecated" interface to the proxy code.
> There have certainly been examples that I am aware of in character sets
> as well, though they have been more aggressive there about removing
> unneeded things.
>
> There are also countless little ways throughout infrastructure in which
> Thunderbird has code that is maintained, and places some burden on
> Firefox. Think of AMO, BMO, Dataviz (that measures ADI), SUMO, Nucleas
> (where release notes are written), and practically any other
> infrastructure item, and there are little Thunderbird-specific features
> that demand small amounts of attention from MoCo staff. Frequently
> Thunderbird does not keep up with the current state of things, so the
> versions that they maintain for us are older and therefore harder to
> work with (think the old SVN website for example, where Kohei has
> single-handedly brought us out of the old world into the new
> Django/Bedrock world).
>
> I also suggest that you listen to some of Chris Beard's speeches on Air
> Mozilla about planning for 2016. One of the points he makes is that the
> attempt of Mozilla to refocus on desktop Firefox requires that they
> identify things that they used to do that are not adding value to
> Firefox, and try to eliminate them. At the highest management levels,
> they are looking around for what can be cut to allow better focus.
> Thunderbird is an obvious target of this. (Apparently, so is Firefox OS
> phones.)
>
> I also do not think that we have the full story, and probably never
> will. In my talks with Doug Turner about our infrastructure migration
> (in which he was extremely cooperative and encouraging, by the way),
> there were a couple of subtle hints about issues with Thunderbird. For
> example, he thought we probably were not looking at crash stats (but
> then I said we of course do, and our crash rate is lower than Firefox),

Great to hear Doug is so engaged. And yes both crash-stats (mostly major
crashes only) and bugzilla reports are well looked after - although I
think it's mainly just me and Magnus (and standard8 prior to that), so
we need others would step forward to share the load [1].

And yes our crash rate is far lower than Firefox's, about 1/3 [2].
Although I suspect our users data is a little more at risk from
corruption and loss from crashes.

[1] crash bugs filed in past year: http://mzl.la/1J0suhi
[2] crash rates ...
Graph: http://imgur.com/iQ5MDn1
TB query: http://bit.ly/1O0m6hD
FF query: http://bit.ly/1NgxAtO

> and he made comments about mostly unmaintained fundamental network code,
> like for SMTP security. I don't think he is well informed here, and
> probably has no need or desire to be well informed, but I took that as a
> hint that Mozilla management may be concerned that Thunderbird is not
> able to maintain the quality that they think should be associated with
> the Mozilla brand.

Given the fact that there is no active module owner, sure, there is
reason for concern. But then, over the last 10 or so years, we've rarely
had security issues in these areas.