Future Planning: Thunderbird as a Web App

Sean M. Pappalardo spappalardo at renegadetech.com
Fri Dec 11 15:03:23 UTC 2015

Hello everyone.

On 09/17/2015 04:06 PM, Axel Grude wrote:
>> tl;dr Thunderbird over the next 3 years needs to convert to being a
>> web app that can run on any browser that supports ES6 Javascript and
>> HTML5. (web app does not imply cloud-based, only that the underlying
>> platform is js/html).

I would like to bring up SOGo, an open-source product by Inverse that
uses a Thunderbird-lookalike HTML/CSS/JS Web interface for its v2
product. http://sogo.nu/ (The also supply XUL/JS extensions to use the
real Thunderbird+Lightning with its server components, FWIW.)

To me, this Web interface seems an excellent starting point since the UI
is already done and has been stable for years. The issues I see are any
license incompatibilities (SOGo is dual-licensed under GPLv2 and
LGPLv2.1) and obviously replacing the back-end with something that can
run in a desktop context.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Sean M. Pappalardo
Sr. Networks Engineer
Renegade Technologies
spappalardo at renegadetech.com
Office: (630) 631-6188
http://www.renegadetech.com

--
This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential