Why we need Gecko updates

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Thu Dec 10 22:02:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015, at 03:44 PM, R Kent James wrote:
> At Toronto a couple of
> months ago we heard some anecdotes about how firm the resolve was of
> Mozilla to prevent Thunderbird from infecting the Gaia email team.

I'm not quite sure I totally understand what you mean when you say
"infect", but this makes things sound like there was a nameless cabal
with a grudge against Thunderbird.  As the only person initially working
on the email app at the time the "how do we do email on firefox os"
decisions were made, my memory of the situation is this:
- Brendan Eich thought Thunderbird was best-in-breed and we should use
it as the basis for the mail app.
- I think Andreas Gal was of the mind that we did not want to add
unnecessary C++ components and web APIs.
- Having worked on Thunderbird for multiple years, I was definitely of
the mind that the right call was a pure JS solution for many reasons.

If there's some other anecdote you're thinking about, I'd like to help
clear the air there too.

> Pity that I am talking to them and not Mozilla Gaia
> email.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?  The gaia email team, of
which I am a part, is already represented here on this public mailing
list (and IRC), but I think you know that.  If you'd like to discuss
anything, I'm very happy to do that here, or on IRC (I'm still :asuth),
or in a Google hangout or wherever.

Andrew