Why we need Gecko updates

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Dec 10 20:44:18 UTC 2015

On 12/10/2015 12:09 PM, Jim wrote:
> I'd argue that at least a couple could be moved to Thunderbird. 2-3
> full-time developers on Thunderbird could make a huge difference, and
> combining our efforts with the Firefox OS productivity team would help
> both parties out.
As far as I am concerned, it was a huge strategic error of Mozilla to
keep these teams separate in the first place. At Toronto a couple of
months ago we heard some anecdotes about how firm the resolve was of
Mozilla to prevent Thunderbird from infecting the Gaia email team.

I have been very reluctant personally though to push any attempt to
revive Thunderbird funding onto Mozilla. The reason for that is that I
assume that Mozilla management believes that interactions we have with
them are subtle attempts to ask for money. I don't want to reinforce
that, and I still think that we have no right to Firefox money. But I
welcome attempts from other people to make the case.

The fact that Thunderbird continues to grow in spite of official
neglect, while many other initiatives of Firefox have failed to live up
to expectations, shows that there is something missing in the standard
Mozilla description of what Thunderbird is, and how it is doomed to
failure and oblivion. Pay attention to your customers! They might know
something that we don't know.

On a related note, I have a Google hangout scheduled tomorrow with the
CEO of Nylas, who make the N1 email client. That is an innovative
desktop client using a lot of the technologies we have been talking
about considering. I don't have any brilliant ideas of how we could work
together, but I do believe fundamentally that we could be more effective
together than apart (they are GPL with a corporate, venture-funded plan
for monetization). Pity that I am talking to them and not Mozilla Gaia
email.

:rkent