Why we need Gecko updates

aleth at instantbird.org aleth at instantbird.org
Wed Dec 9 20:52:27 UTC 2015

> Gervase Markham wrote on 18.09.2015 15:32:
>> To put it another way: "what would we have lost if we had forked m-c two
>> years ago"?

Two examples beside security bugs:

* Ongoing improvements to the JS engine and APIs: Within the past two
years, this includes (off the top of my head) ES6, Promises, Tasks,
OS.File, shutdown blockers. These have already been very useful, and are
key for any attempt to move more of the backend code from C++ to JS.

* Support for new OS versions: for example, support for UI theming that
fits with Windows 10 and OS X Yosemite/El Capitan (for the latter, e.g.
vibrancy and system font handling changes). GTK3 is likely a similar
story.

Answering this question may be a bit like pointing at the tip of an
iceberg - there are a lot of improvements and fixes that TB has been
getting for free, and many of them will be bugs that were never filed
for TB because the platform took care of them already.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free