Why we need Gecko updates

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Dec 9 01:46:41 UTC 2015

On 12/8/2015 5:25 PM, Axel Grude wrote:
> I wonder how Postbox manages, AFAIK they still use Gecko 9.0
>
> Did Mozilla ever consider splitting Gecko from M-C? I would believe if
> it was in a separate branch it would be much easier to stay in sync.
>
> Axel
I think that Postbox has basically just said that users don't care that
much about security updates, so neither do they. I don't think that they
do them, or at least if they do only a few.  Security updates are like a
religion at Mozilla, and yet the lack of pushback to Postbox on this
issue shows that users are not that concerned. Not that we should drop
our religion, just saying that if we want to be open to all options, we
should at least ask "Maybe security updates are not as important as we
think that  they are?" BenB, I only said as the question, I am not
implying that I know the answer.

I still hold to my estimates from a few months ago. That is, TB 45 and
52 will ship in sync with the Mozilla esr versions. After that (59?) we
will be on a fork of m-c, and probably can only maintain that with
security updates for a year at best. But that is of course a wild estimate.

:rkent