pep financing proposal

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:59:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Mark Banner <mbanner at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/2015 21:55, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>
>> Frankly speaking, I'm very disappointed by the decision the Council has
>> taken. I fully agree with Ben that this would have been a dream solution
>> for me, and I would indeed like to hear the main arguments from both
>> sides. After all, this agreement could have secured the (financial)
>> future of Thunderbird for the foreseeable time.
>>
>> I just hope that the Council has offer(s) from other partner(s) on the
>> table to secure the future of Thunderbird, otherwise I'm starting to get
>> slightly worried. The least thing I would want is a fork from Thunderbird.
>>

> I really don't like the tone here. The council was elected by the
> community and given responsibility to lead the project and have authority.
> We need to trust them and allow them to lead.

Correction, The council was elected by a limited group of contributors who
were invited to summit not by the entire community  (I was never offered
any vote opportunity and have contributed to TB for a few years now) or TB
contributor base and the council term ended October 18th.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tb-planning/election/tb-planning/3NfdNjpCsyM/PZ5ugRYvCqAJ

The full community election would have taken place this year although I
imagine if many of the council ran again they would be elected by the full
community.

> You might not like the decision (if any decision has indeed been made),
> but from what I can tell, your dislike is based on "this was an offer of
> some money and integrating p=p with Thunderbird".
>
> You're welcome to dislike it on that basis. I think its also reasonable to
> ask for the reasons if they can be disclosed suitably (unfortunately
> details of potential financial transactions can always be a bit sensitive
> even in public projects).
>
> However, as you do not have all the details, knowledge of the discussions,
> etc, I think it is unfair of you to start threatening ("I just hope that
> the Council...", "The least thing I would  want is a fork...") the council
> based on incomplete facts. How do you not know if there are small devils
> waiting in the detail (like support for only so long)? - I really doubt
> there would be, but we simply don't know.
>
> Mark.

Benjamin Kerensa