Mitchell Baker's memo

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Fri Dec 4 11:07:27 UTC 2015

On 04/12/15 23:45, Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) wrote:
> On 12/4/2015 5:31 AM, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:

>>> Also https://twitter.com/fjdekermadec/status/671509421407780866, and
>>> this is what I'm getting at – not "this has been in train for some
>>> time and the post contains nothing new for those in the know". From an
>>> end-user view I doubt many people are going to dig into the detail,
>>> and I strongly suspect this is going to be spun from some quarters
>>> (including competing products) as Thunderbird is dead/dying/being
>>> killing and such. A updated blog post perhaps stating and summarising
>>> some facts (e.g. "we're here, we're growing, we've pushed out n
>>> releases since being community driven and will continue to do so")
>>> could be useful to deflect this and reassure folks who use the product.
>>>

>> Well that didn't take long:
>>
>> <http://www.getmailbird.com/the-best-mozilla-thunderbird-alternatives-for-windows/#.VmEla2N4iGQ.twitter>http://www.getmailbird.com/the-best-mozilla-thunderbird-alternatives-for-windows/
>>

> And how ironic that the fate and future of one of the alternatives
> listed is directly dependent on Thunderbird.
>
> Let the FUD begin.

Well, they'd be stupid not to make as much mileage of this as possible,
irrespective of the facts. I think we need to respond – not directly,
but just something current and public. I'll try to draft a blog post or
at least some collect some points which could perhaps be finessed into
something.

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz