pep financing proposal
mbanner at mozilla.com
Fri Dec 4 08:55:41 UTC 2015
On 03/12/2015 21:55, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> Frankly speaking, I'm very disappointed by the decision the Council has
> taken. I fully agree with Ben that this would have been a dream solution
> for me, and I would indeed like to hear the main arguments from both
> sides. After all, this agreement could have secured the (financial)
> future of Thunderbird for the foreseeable time.
> I just hope that the Council has offer(s) from other partner(s) on the
> table to secure the future of Thunderbird, otherwise I'm starting to get
> slightly worried. The least thing I would want is a fork from Thunderbird.
I really don't like the tone here. The council was elected by the
community and given responsibility to lead the project and have
authority. We need to trust them and allow them to lead.
You might not like the decision (if any decision has indeed been made),
but from what I can tell, your dislike is based on "this was an offer of
some money and integrating p=p with Thunderbird".
You're welcome to dislike it on that basis. I think its also reasonable
to ask for the reasons if they can be disclosed suitably (unfortunately
details of potential financial transactions can always be a bit
sensitive even in public projects).
However, as you do not have all the details, knowledge of the
discussions, etc, I think it is unfair of you to start threatening ("I
just hope that the Council...", "The least thing I would want is a
fork...") the council based on incomplete facts. How do you not know if
there are small devils waiting in the detail (like support for only so
long)? - I really doubt there would be, but we simply don't know.
More information about the tb-planning