pep financing proposal

Volker Birk vb at pep-project.org
Thu Dec 3 23:18:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 01:06:56PM -0600, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
> I will say that if you were to only hear the other half,
> you would think that pEp were conducting a bait-and-switch operation to
> hijack control of the Thunderbird project.

Probably email is a bad medium to discuss if emotions are in place. But
please think about what you're telling here!

In my view, there is way too much discussion “behind the curtain”. I
would like to put things openly on the table, because I cannot see why
not. If I may suggest something for Thunderbird council, it will be a
public mail archive, and published minutes. For a community project this
is very unusual not to know anything what's going on.

p≡p's interest in Thunderbird is clear, and I made it clear from the
first day:

1) Thunderbird has to survive. And to make this cristal clear: this is
   not the case yet, that we have this situation already. This is why
   p≡p set up a project to find financing to save Thunderbird. I'm still
   wondering why this is being seen as an attack?!

2) Thunderbird has to find a sustainable future. The idea to make a
   transitional project for analyzing what could be the best way to do
   this did not sound totally stupid to me. The opposite is true, I'm
   very happy that this is the come-out of our discussion with Mark
   Surman. To repeat that: Mozilla would be in.

3) p≡p has the slogan: “Privacy by Default”. If we make statements to
   the public, please expect us being serious about them. To call this
   “bait-and-switch operation to hijack control” when we want to deal
   out – surprise, surprise: Privacy by Default, makes me raising my
   eyebrows and shaking my head. Seriously?! I'm very desolate about the
   positioning here what we want to add: because being a crypto app
   itself would really help Thunderbird to have a new advantage over
   competing solutions. Why is that seen only as disadvantage? We have
   2015, crypto is a big thing, and Enigmail/p≡p will add lots of value
   to the project, independently from the money being put on the table.

pretty Easy privacy is about making Privacy the Default. This – and a
long term user experience inside the crypto community including crypto
parties make us wanting to save Thunderbird.

Is that really so hard to understand?

Yours,
VB.
--