pep financing proposal

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Thu Dec 3 21:55:19 UTC 2015

On 03.12.15 20:06, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
> On 12/3/2015 12:42 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> From what I understand, they already had an understanding, ready to be
>> signed. But finally, Kent James declined their offer. I don't
>> understand why, and speaking personally with Volker, I frankly don't
>> see a reason. Kent, do you see an overwhelming reason to throw that
>> into the wind?
>
> That is not the case. You are hearing only one half of the story. Since
> a lot of the relevant communication has been conducted in private, I
> shan't repeat it. However, I will say that if you were to only hear the
> other half, you would think that pEp were conducting a bait-and-switch
> operation to hijack control of the Thunderbird project. The truth is
> obviously somewhere in the middle, and this is a good object lesson in
> why one should endeavor to hear all sides of a story before drawing
> conclusions.

Frankly speaking, I'm very disappointed by the decision the Council has
taken. I fully agree with Ben that this would have been a dream solution
for me, and I would indeed like to hear the main arguments from both
sides. After all, this agreement could have secured the (financial)
future of Thunderbird for the foreseeable time.

I just hope that the Council has offer(s) from other partner(s) on the
table to secure the future of Thunderbird, otherwise I'm starting to get
slightly worried. The least thing I would want is a fork from Thunderbird.

-Patrick