pep financing proposal

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Dec 3 18:42:56 UTC 2015

Hey all Thunderbird developers,

I just read in German news
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/p-p-Entwickler-Die-Krypto-Community-braucht-den-Mail-Client-Thunderbird-3030980.html
that the p≡p Foundation had offered to continue financing the
Thunderbird project, with a significant sum of money. The news item
didn't say how much.

I just had a very long conversation with Volker Birk, the head of p≡p,
and he confirmed the offer. The p≡p foundation only tried to make
encryption and privacy ubiquitous, using strong crypto and peer to peer,
a goal that in my opinion surely is a good one. More than that, it would
also be a strong feature for Thunderbird, because it's the *only*
remaining large email client that runs on my computer, aside from
Outlook, and after Snowden, many people look for privacy solutions, so
Thunderbird would have a strong argument for end users there. Volker
said that the p≡p foundation is very pragmatic and only tries to make
privacy ubiquitous, and it's only for that goal that they want
Thunderbird to survive, and they consider Thunderbird critical for that
end. They very well financed and willing to put up money to help us.

 From what I understand, they already had an understanding, ready to be
signed. But finally, Kent James declined their offer. I don't understand
why, and speaking personally with Volker, I frankly don't see a reason.
Kent, do you see an overwhelming reason to throw that into the wind?

To me, this seems like the dream solution. An idealistic, well-funded
foundation considers us important and wants us to continue and offers us
money. And even contribute a critically important feature. Why not take it?

Ben Bucksch