Mitchell Baker's memo

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at lehigh.edu
Tue Dec 1 12:36:30 UTC 2015

On 12/1/2015 4:28 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 01/12/15 08:51, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
>> Apropos of the subject line, I expect this to kick off a second wave of
>> hysteria in the blogosphere about Thunderbird being "dead".
>
> Well, I would hope not. AIUI, it was written somewhat carefully to avoid
> precipitating exactly that. It may be that there are additional
> preventative actions that could be taken but really, anyone who takes
> that line really isn't reading what was written.
>
> Gerv

Indeed pretty much none of Mitchell's post to the newsgroups (it was not
a blog) -
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.governance/kAyVlhfEcXg -
should be a surprise to anyone who has been following for the progress
of the past 2-3 years. The only recent developments are Mitchell's
codifying the details into a formal statement and the Mozilla
Foundation's involvement, #9. (History can be viewed after the fact in
Thunderbird meeting notes [1], Thunderbird blogs [2], and postings of
Kent and others to tb-planning [3].)

One could perhaps view Mitchell's posting as a continuation of the 2012
blog about the "new direction for Thunderbird" [4] and subsequent blogs
and posting activity, but this time with a more positive bent, more
clarity, and with an active Thunderbird community that is already
involved in planning the future needs of Thunderbird.

The Council has been looking at these things for some time, and a
statement from the Council will no doubt be forthcoming now that
Mitchell has posted.

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/StatusMeetings
[2] http://planet.mozilla.org/thunderbird/
[3] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tb-planning