Thunderbird and Addons

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 05:41:35 UTC 2015

> On 08/26/2015 05:16 PM, Axel Grude wrote:
> > If XUL goes away is the plan to re-code the core UI in HTML5 as well?
>
> Yes, that's the plan. (As far as I've been able to tell.)
>
> How are dialog overlays going to be implemented?
>
> Probably in much the same way as restartless add-ons: just inject the
> appropriate DOM elements into the chrome from JS. There might be some
> fancier way of doing it, but from converting a few of my extensions to
> restartless, XUL overlays don't help that much.
Good. I have another Addon (MenuOnTop - it is restartless but uses XUL overlays) which
hoists and overlays the main menu, so that would also be on my wish list.
> > What about toolbars, icon menus?
>
> What about these makes an HTML implementation impossible? You might need
> some OS hooks, e.g. for the top-level menus on OS X, but that's about it
> (and really, the XUL <menu> implementation is god-awful because of the
> OS X requirements, so I won't be sad to see it be replaced).
I am not saying it's impossible, but I would like to see some recipies for replacing
these.
> > As somebody with 25+ years of desktop application experience I can only
> > say that xul+css had been a dream come true...
>
> XUL is a dead end. It's buggy, largely-unmaintained, and HTML has copied
> (and improved upon!) most of the nice things that used to be XUL-only
> (e.g. ellipses, flexbox, XBL/web components). I don't see any reason why
> Mozilla couldn't continue this to its logical conclusion: HTML as a
> better XUL. Then we might finally be able to rid ourselves of XUL's
> half-broken box model. :D
Point for you :-) If only there was a conversion method of xul overlays => [x]html
that helps with the ground work.

If we go with HTML5 if Mozilla-core could invent an overlaying method that is similar
to not do this in code only this would be fantastic. The goal would be yet again to
divorce programming from the presentation layer as much as possible.

Axel