Thunderbird and Addons

Jim Porter squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 23:17:12 UTC 2015

On 08/26/2015 05:16 PM, Axel Grude wrote:
> If XUL goes away is the plan to re-code the core UI in HTML5 as well?

Yes, that's the plan. (As far as I've been able to tell.)

How are dialog overlays going to be implemented?

Probably in much the same way as restartless add-ons: just inject the
appropriate DOM elements into the chrome from JS. There might be some
fancier way of doing it, but from converting a few of my extensions to
restartless, XUL overlays don't help that much.

> What about toolbars, icon menus?

What about these makes an HTML implementation impossible? You might need
some OS hooks, e.g. for the top-level menus on OS X, but that's about it
(and really, the XUL <menu> implementation is god-awful because of the
OS X requirements, so I won't be sad to see it be replaced).

> As somebody with 25+ years of desktop application experience I can only
> say that xul+css had been a dream come true...

XUL is a dead end. It's buggy, largely-unmaintained, and HTML has copied
(and improved upon!) most of the nice things that used to be XUL-only
(e.g. ellipses, flexbox, XBL/web components). I don't see any reason why
Mozilla couldn't continue this to its logical conclusion: HTML as a
better XUL. Then we might finally be able to rid ourselves of XUL's
half-broken box model. :D

- Jim