Thunderbird and Addons

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Aug 26 23:05:50 UTC 2015

On 8/26/2015 3:16 PM, Axel Grude wrote:
> As somebody with 25+ years of desktop application experience I can
> only say that xul+css had been a dream come true, I hope this won't be
> squandered for the promise mobile platform compatibility. I still see
> Tb as a desktop fat client.
>
> Axel
A possible connection to mobile is an extra benefit, not the driver.
What would really help Thunderbird would be if we could get off this rat
race where we are constantly fighting binary and build breakages from
the Mozilla platform, by being able to run on a released browser
install. If Mozilla develops the technology to do usable, extendable
user interfaces using HTML (as seems to be their goal), we might be able
to achieve this.

You really need to be asking these questions though on Firefox mailing
lists. We are unlikely to do anything until there is some demo code in
Firefox that shows how the existing UI will be replaced with HTML.

:rkent