Thunderbird and Addons

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Aug 26 19:44:44 UTC 2015

We had a long discussion about addons in Thunderbird at our group
meeting yesterday. We are trying to decide what we can say about our
current policy towards addons. This thread is part of the information
gathering for that.

On binary extensions, we're pretty agreed that the policy stance is
this: We currently continue to accept binary extensions, and there are
several key binary extensions in our addon ecosystem. But they are
deprecated, mostly because with Firefox no longer accepting them, there
are likely to be breaking changes in core code that we cannot overcome.
Anyone with a binary extension needs a migration plan away from that.

It would be good to inform us of any binary extensions that are out
there and your needs. If there are core hooks needed to allow your
extension to function, we are pretty accommodating to that. Most of my
personal new development effort is going into adding addon hooks to core
for new account types, which are needed both for my own ExQuilla binary
extension, but also for the work we are doing to incorporate other new
protocols such as JMAP.

Certainly binary extensions are and will continue to be allowed in
Thunderbird 38.*  For our next major version, 45.*, the picture is not
clear yet, but I would hope yes. But probably not beyond that.

The story is very similar with addon signing.  That is, not required in
Thunderbird 38, not yet clear for Thunderbird 45 but probably will not
be required there, after that who knows.

We have no current plan for dealing with the XUL deprecation issue. We
don't get invited to sit at the cool kids table anymore, so this is
hitting us about the same time it is hitting you (though I suspect the
discussion was public if we had looked hard enough).

In the long run, I'm actually excited about the prospects of solving all
of the issues with HTML that would allow us to run Thunderbird as pure
HTML. That would give us the long-term hope of having a product that
could run outside of the Mozilla binary environment, such as on mobile
devices or as a pure web app. I actually think this is likely in the
long run to be more beneficial for Thunderbird than for Firefox. But the
work to get there is enormous, and we are still trying to sort that.

Concerning the effect of that on addons, whatever we do will probably
lag Firefox by about a year, and even for them I think the situation is
quite murky right now. We're just going to have to wait and see what
Firefox ends up doing to solve the extension problem, adapt it if we
can, if not we'll have to figure out something else. I realize that that
is not a particularly satisfying answer, but Mozilla does not ask our
permission before they make big public announcements like this. We're
still trying to formulate a position that we can announce officially,
even if that position just confirms our uncertainty.

At least for Thunderbird, we have no current intention of either trying
to reduce the power of addons, nor trying to be compatible with some
industry-wide standard for addons (since there is no equivalent to "Web
Extensions" for email clients). We're a different product than Firefox
with different needs. But the prospect of trying to do our own thing
here independent of Firefox would be enormously challenging.

:rkent