Re: Thunderbird and end-to-end email encryption – should this be a priority?

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 01:39:30 UTC 2015

On 8/25/2015 4:31 AM, R Kent James wrote:
> Should this be a focus for Thunderbird development?

I'm going to be a surprising voice and opine "no."

End-to-end email encryption is a very hard problem, one with no real
clear solution. It is way too easy for us to overpromise and
underdeliver in this regard, particularly with looming Mozilla disasters
such as removal of XPCOM. We don't really have the technical expertise
in our developer base to be able to propose any radical solutions, and
we largely don't have the contacts or administrator knowledge to bring
in other stakeholders for new proposed protocols.

That's not to say we should be doing nothing. There are pain points when
using today's security UI that are well within our ability to fix (such
as being able to search encrypted messages), and we should be receptive
to ideas and experiments here (although implementing untested protocols
in core Thunderbird is where I would draw the line).

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer