Re: Thunderbird and end-to-end email encryption – should this be a priority?

Axel Grude (Axel) axel.grude at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 21:39:25 UTC 2015

> On 8/25/15 3:54 PM, Nomis101 wrote:
> >> Why would it not work with Thunderbird? If it sends standard PGP email,
> >> I think it would work?
> >>
> > Because you need to install the Add-On "mailvelope" in Firefox. And this
> > Add-On does not install (per default) in Thunderbird.
>
> I don't want to get too focused on this implementation in this thread,
> but my point was that if it's doing PGP properly, then I'd hope using
> Enigmail in Thunderbird, would let you read messages sent using this
> extension in Firefox. (I.e. I wasn't implying you should be able to
> install that extension.)
ok, pgp uses assymetric encryption, but I don't how a specific implementation in a
_web browser_ is awfully relevant. The first point for enabling wider adoption I would
focus on is other _email clients_ such as Outlook or apple mail, and see what
mechanisms / programs / plugins are available for decryption.

Are you saying there should be an Enigmail version for Firefox?

Axel