Re: Thunderbird and end-to-end email encryption – should this be a priority?

Patrick Cloke patrick at cloke.us
Tue Aug 25 20:17:10 UTC 2015

On 8/25/15 3:54 PM, Nomis101 wrote:
>> Why would it not work with Thunderbird? If it sends standard PGP email,
>> I think it would work?
>>
> Because you need to install the Add-On "mailvelope" in Firefox. And this
> Add-On does not install (per default) in Thunderbird.

I don't want to get too focused on this implementation in this thread,
but my point was that if it's doing PGP properly, then I'd hope using
Enigmail in Thunderbird, would let you read messages sent using this
extension in Firefox. (I.e. I wasn't implying you should be able to
install that extension.)

Sorry this wasn't clear!

--Patrick

P.S. I'm a novice at using PGP, maybe there are incompatibilities and
OpenPGP is completely different than what Enigmail does...but if so,
this is illustrating some of the problems of mass adoption.