Re: Thunderbird and end-to-end email encryption – should this be a priority?

Patrick Cloke patrick at cloke.us
Tue Aug 25 19:09:54 UTC 2015

On 8/25/15 2:30 PM, Nomis101 wrote:
> Am 25.08.15 um 11:31 schrieb R Kent James:
>> This is the text from a blog post today on the Thunderbird blog:
> Interesting, that you mentioned this. Just today I've read this [1]
> german article, telling that United-Internet (gmx, web.de and 1&1) is
> now supporting an easy way to encrypt emails with OpenPGP. But you need
> an Add-On for Firefox or Chrome for that (so, it seems not to work with
> Thunderbird).

Why would it not work with Thunderbird? If it sends standard PGP email,
I think it would work?

> I would really love an easy way to encrypt emails inside Thunderbird!
> If I remember corectly, this was the goal of the Dark Mail Alliance.
>
> [1]:
> http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2015-08/gmx-webde-mail-verschluesselung-pgp-anleitung

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there's been no news of this in the
past 6-months. Their website (darkmail.info) seems to no longer exist,
there are still commits ongoing, however [1]. There plan was to use (a
fork of) Thunderbird as their initial client, but last I heard they were
"focusing on the server side and libraries".

In general, I think having end-to-end encryption built-in (in some form
or another) would be a great idea...and would help a niche set of users.
I think we should be careful though: as far as I know, most of the
current volunteers don't have a background in cryptography. We should
likely focus on the user experience aspects of it: e.g. How can we make
this easier for less technical people to use?

--Patrick

[1] https://github.com/lavabit/magma.classic/commits/develop