Thunderbird and Addons

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 25 12:46:49 UTC 2015

On 24/08/2015 20:43, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 24/08/15 19:35, R Kent James wrote:
>> We need to do some sort of announcement in the Thunderbird blog about
>> our plans concerning addons. I'd like to have feedback from folks to see
>> if there is any debate about what is the correct direction for us.
>>
>> We've at least agreed that we are continuing to support binary addons.
> The obvious follow-up questions you will then get are:
>
> * The reason Firefox is deprecating XUL/XPCOM addons is because they
> want to move away from those techologies towards things which are more
> webby. Do you then plan to continue to support XUL and XPCOM, even if
> Firefox moves away from these technologies? If not, what does it mean to
> say that you "continue to support binary addons"?

Just to stress the point here: Firefox is definitely looking at removing
XUL support completely from itself, likely replacing most of the UI with
HTML. I don't know about removing XPCOM as well, I think I've heard
mentions of that.

There's no timescales for this, but I'd say expect it to happen in the
next year or two, bits of Firefox are already being moved to HTML as
experiments and learning.

A good place to track the discussions is the firefox-dev mailing list:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/firefox-dev

Mark.