Re: Thunderbird and end-to-end email encryption – should this be a priority?

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Tue Aug 25 11:56:02 UTC 2015

Am 25.08.2015 um 11:31 schrieb R Kent James:
> This is the text from a blog post today on the Thunderbird blog:
>
> See
> https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/08/thunderbird-and-end-to-end-email-encryption-should-this-be-a-priority/
>
> In the last few weeks, I’ve had several interesting conversations
> concerning email encryption. I’m also trying to develop some concept of
> what areas Thunderbird should view as our special emphases as we look
> forward. The question is, with our limited resources, should we strive
> to make better support of end-to-end email encryption a vital
> Thunderbird priority? I’d appreciate comments on that question, either
> on this Thunderbird blog posting or the email list tb-planning at mozilla.org.
>
> [...]

Your examples are pretty US centric in my opinion. From the outside
speaking as a German I have to say I find it unbelievable how the north
american population do not care about the privacy being ignored.
I don't want to discuss politics here but from my European point of view ...

> Should this be a focus for Thunderbird development?

yes, it definitely should!

Also working in the email business I know that service providers start
to care for real.
In Germany there are a lot of initiatives going on to enable end to
(almost) end encryption implemented on service provider level and in a
usable way. Currently all those are basically leaving behind fat clients
though.

Wolfgang