Council Elections

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Aug 24 20:45:55 UTC 2015

They are not really overdue, the expectation is that we would have
another revisit of the Council at the one year point, which is in October.

One complication has been that we are still trying to find the correct
financial and legal home for Thunderbird, as I discussed in a posting in
July to this list. I've had discussions with several open source
sponsorship organizations in the last couple of months, and also as I
discussed in that email, Software Freedom Conservancy is still the
leading candidate.

The interaction with Council elections is that whatever group we
affiliate with is likely to have at least expertise on this kind of
governance issue, if not specific requirements as to how it is done. So
that gives us an incentive to put off as long as possible putting a
structure in place, hoping that whoever we affiliate with can play a
role in getting that organized.

What I expect, based on the experience at the Summit, is that the design
of process to choose the Council will be controversial, but the actual
candidate list will not be. Call me chicken, but getting a third party
to help with the process will make it easier. But the real hard part is
getting qualified people to serve and participate at all, not choosing
among qualified candidates with differing perspectives.

The time may come where a major controversy requires resolving, so the
process needs to be established and will be. But don't be surprised if
October comes and we delay revisiting the Council for a few months while
we settle the legal and financial sponsorship issue. The Council
governance is not the top priority here.

:rkent