Thunderbird and Addons

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:17:49 UTC 2015

+1 on what Gerv and Magnum said I don't think announcing deviation is a
smart move because I don't think TB has the resources to deviate from
Mozilla's plans currently.

On Aug 24, 2015 1:02 PM, "Magnus Melin" <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:

> So far I've always been inclined to just follow what Firefox does, that's
the platform we have to build on after all. If even possible, we don't have
the resources to maintain such deviations and would just postponing a
inevitable transition to whatever toolkit switched to. Since our release
cycle is as long as it is with next release 45, then 52 - even for the
52-release (or the next at the latest) there is little guarantee for those
points to work out if Firefox has moved on.

>  -Magnus
>
> (#2 is discussed in bug 1168571)
>

> On 24.08.2015 21:35, R Kent James wrote:
>>

>> At this point, I think that the prevailing viewpoint is probably the
following, and I would like to announce this if possible in a blog post:

>> 1)    Thunderbird continues to support binary addons.
>> 2)    Thunderbird will not require addon signing.
>> 3)    Thunderbird has no current plans to disable the use of traditional
XUL/XPCOM addons in Thunderbird.

>> This policy must be modified by the caveat "as long as core Mozilla code
can be used to support it".

>> (I might also note that initial patches are being looked at for the
integration of the technology formerly know as Skinkglue into Thunderbird
core, to be called JsAccount, which makes it possible to define new account
types in Thunderbird using a traditional XUL/XPCOM/JavaScript addon. This
will almost certainly be in our next major release).

>> Could I have some comments or discussion on these proposed positions?
>>
>> I hope the Thunderbird community appreciates that diverging from Mozilla
in this manner will probably mean that we will need to take over addon
review from Thunderbird at some point, possibly including forking of AMO
for our own use.