Thunderbird and Addons

Philipp Kewisch mozilla at kewis.ch
Mon Aug 24 19:48:43 UTC 2015

While in the short run I'd agree to all three points you mention, I
think we need to plan on how we will interact with the new addon plans
of Mozilla. If we go with this statement now and only make changes when
core Mozilla code no longer supports it, it will be way too late to
transition Thunderbird addons then and we will have an even bigger problem.

I do think that we should try to make the most out of what they are
doing with Web Extensions and System Extensions. If this is what it is
going to be, then we'll need to provide a set of APIs that Thunderbird
addons can use, based on what our addons are currently doing. I've added
two ideas to the uservoice page [1] [2] (plus my comment on [3]) that
would benefit Thunderbird, if you have a moment please vote :)

It is a bit to early to make concrete suggestions on what a such API
will look like since I am still unsure how they plan to replace the xul
overlaying which we make more extensive use of. Working on this API
early doesn't mean we can't keep xul based addons enabled longer than
Firefox, but if we have to shut this done from one day to another our
addon community will probably be nonexistent.

It is also a premier opportunity to work with the addons folks so that
WebExtensions doesn't turn into a second Addon-SDK that doesn't work
well for Thunderbird.

Philipp

[1]
https://webextensions.uservoice.com/forums/315663-webextension-api-ideas/suggestions/9440682-allow-extensions-to-define-new-api