Thunderbird 38 beta 2 is available

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at lehigh.edu
Fri Apr 24 02:12:03 UTC 2015

On 4/23/2015 7:01 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 4/23/2015 2:35 AM, R Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
>> MailDir works with IMAP accounts. I've been running with maildir on IMAP
>> for several months now with no issues.
>
> Thanks for this, but can you elaborate a little?
>
> How many IMAP accounts do you have, and how much mail in them? Any of
> them with lots of folders?
>
> Is there a doc or blog page describing the current state, what to
> expect, best practices, etc?
>
> I'm guessing that maildir won't be the default storage option on new
> installs for 38?
>
> Thanks, I'm tempted to try it....

(finishing the prematurely sent post)

Your enthusiasm is great.  But we suggest anyone intending to use this
to do so with some caution.

This feature has been used by several people for an extended period of
time, but it there is no doc yet and it has not yet undergone formal
testing, nor has it been exposed to a wide variety of users.  Testing
and filing good bug reports is welcomed, but again this is a beta - it
is suggested USE WITH CAUTION.

Kent has provided this list of testing points and particular issues to
watch for:

1) Cross-server moves and copies are poorly tested [in automated tests].
Cross-server can include between maildir dirs, from maildir to mbox, and
from mbox to maildir.
2) Filter are always problematic. That needs to include imap, POP3, both
incoming and after-the-fact (such as manual or post-bayes filters)
3) Spam processing, including moves of spam messages.
4) Large folders approaching 4 Gigabytes. I don't really know what
happens when we pass that limit.
5) Folders with a large message count.
6) Virtual folders
7) Gloda indexing of messages

Network [file share] behavior has always been an issue, not sure if
maildir will be any better, but it would be good to test.

You can only enable maildir for new accounts. Setting a global
Tools/Options/Advanced/Message store type for new accounts is the best
way to create a new a new maildir account, For POP3 you can do it in
Advanced config, but that does not work in IMAP.