Combined From/Recipient column ("Correspondents") in thread pane - What do you think?

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Apr 11 19:39:22 UTC 2015

On 4/10/2015 9:59 AM, Andrew J. Buehler <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 04/10/2015 at 08:18 AM, Josiah Bruner wrote:
>> Personally, I think it's fine to (auto) make it the default,
>> assuming there is a pref to disable it. In essence it does the same
>> thing as From and Recipient, so I don't think people will become
>> that upset about it. If someone comes up with a circumstance where
>> the new column does LESS than the old implementation, then we
>> should address that. Otherwise, who cares?

> I agree that it's fine to make it the default, and that it's probably a
> nicer behavior overall.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP's suggestion.

I see absolutely no problem making this the default for new installs,
that would be fine.

What I have a problem with is automatically changing this for existing
profiles during upgrades.

> I disagree that this means that it's fine to automatically change
> existing configurations,

Exactly...

> except _perhaps_ if we know for certain that the user has left them
> in their default state.

If you mean the columns in the thread pane - meaning, the user hasn't
done any modification whatsoever to these columns - if it is possible to
reliably detect such a case, I guess that would be ok too.

This new column sounds interesting, which is why I tried the
aforementioned extension, and as I said, if it works better, I might
even decide to switch to it.

But again - a simple way to toggle between the two would go a long way
to eliminating any resistance to changing it on upgrades.

> To raise a practical concern about the automatic conversion process:
> what would the convertor code do in a case where someone has _both_ the
> - From and the To columns visible, in the same folder?

How hard would it be to add code to the converter to 'remember' the
previous settings, allowing a quick switch back?