Combined From/Recipient column ("Correspondents") in thread pane - What do you think?

Nathan Tuggy bugzilla at nathan.tuggycomputer.com
Sat Apr 11 18:21:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-10 19:23, Andrew J. Buehler wrote:

> On 04/10/2015 at 06:40 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
>> On 04/10/2015 03:38 AM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
>>> As currently implemented, the new column automatically replaces
>>> "From" and "Recipient" columns for any existing folder when the
>>> user visits the folder in Thunderbird 39.
>>>
>>> Personally, I find this "hard sell" of the new feature a little
>>> too aggressive. I would not upgrade existing folders to use the
>>> new column automatically. I would leave it to the users' choice
>>> whether or not they want to use the new column.
>> This is a pretty bad way to make people aware of the new feature*.
>> To be honest, if we *didn't* upgrade people to use this column, I
>> wouldn't see much point in adding it in the first place. If we
>> don't think a change in UX is better than the status quo, then we
>> probably have better things to work on.
> I agree that there needs to be a highly visible notification of the
> existence of the new feature, and that there needs to be a way to have
> people automatically migrated to using it. I also agree that it's fine
> (and even probably _should_ be done) to have this column present by
> default in any newly-created folders, though if there's a way to let
> people control that (whether by pref or by add-on) that would be good.
>
> However, I think it's possible to achieve that while still providing
> people with a simple way to avoid the automatic migration.
>
> What I envision is a something like one-time prompt, after upgrade,
> announcing the new feature and asking whether to migrate to it
> automatically. Based on the answer to that prompt, set a Boolean pref
> like the one in comment 11 of bug 1152706, then respect that pref
> afterwards.
>
> Since apparently the actual migration is done per-folder and only when
> the folder in question is visited, this would mean checking the pref
> once at launch and once when opening each folder.
>
> Would there be any problems with that approach?

As a power user (and sometime QA volunteer) who likes the occasional new
UI as long as it doesn't disrupt things too much (but rolled back e.g.
Australis), this sounds like an excellent way to give the new feature
visibility.

There's one small problem I can see, though, and that's someone who
doesn't pay attention to the prompt bar but doesn't consciously dismiss
it either while doing a quick check of their email. I'm not sure this is
a very common case, so it may not be worth worrying too much about

--
Nathan Tuggy [:tuggyne]
nathan at tuggycomputer.com