Combined From/Recipient column ("Correspondents") in thread pane - What do you think?

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Fri Apr 10 12:54:04 UTC 2015

On 10/04/2015 14:18, Josiah Bruner wrote:
> Personally, I think it's fine to (auto) make it the default, assuming
> there is a pref to disable it. In essence it does the same thing as
> From and Recipient, so I don't think people will become that upset
> about it. If someone comes up with a circumstance where the new column
> does LESS than the old implementation, then we should address that.
> Otherwise, who cares?

There is no pref to disable the forced upgrade of *every* folder that
the user visits.

> For example, I more or less used the default columns, which only
> included the From field. After the upgrade, all I see is that it
> appears to have been renamed to Correspondents. No functionality is
> missing, so it was a non-issue. Have you noticed missing functionality?

There is no missing functionality *), but there is also not much added
functionality. Change just for the sake of change? It's great that more
options got implemented, but why the hard sell?

Mainly it's a new option for some, but not for others.

First, in an Inbox, it makes little sense to replace "From" with
"Correspondents", since all correspondents are indeed senders.
Same in an outbox, were all "Correspondents" are in fact "Recipients".
That leaves mixed mailboxes where people store all messages from or to a
person. In these mailboxes instead of seeing
From:
Myself
other guy
other guy
Myself

we now have:
Correspondents:
--> other guy
<-- other guy
<-- other guy
--> other guy

You need to step back and think what the arrows mean.

Jorg K.

P.S.: *) Currently questionable is the sorting function. Sorting by
"From" sorted sender and recipient apart, sorting by correspondent
currently does not sort --> and <-- apart, so it's harder to find a
message to or from the other guy (or girl).